The Holy City at Sunrise

The Holy City at Sunrise
Father, I pray that you will use my experiences to bless the world you love.

...and now at sunset

...and now at sunset
The view from my window...

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Swimming Where Jesus Walked


So remember what I said last time about the stagnant bowels? Yea... scratch that. The trip began on Saturday morning when we boarded the bus at 7:00am. Thinking I had fully recovered from the race (due to the fact that my legs and arms were no longer sore), I expected no problems. However, I began experiencing quite frequent and increasingly painful stomach cramps. At first it came in short bursts, feeling like little pushes and pokes in my gut. I continued to eat and even digest without any irregularity. But by the end of the second day (which was Sunday), I would get bursts of cramps that I would reckon to Shaq reaching into my torso and squeezing my stomach with all his might, challenging me to hold my food--and as much I want to vomit to escape the pain, I am unable. Immediately after welcoming my dinner that night, I parted with it (by its natural hatch) and somehow made it back to our own little room just in time to bid farewell to my dessert (once again, southward). So this continued all night--I would wake up in a pool of sweat, visit the bathroom, and return to bed freezing. I had no choice but to take the next day, Monday, off from the field and rest in the room. Thankfully, I was able to spend the day with Jesus, sleep, and watch the sunset--which provided a good enough day not to leave regrets of missing a day in the field. Oh and by the way, our window looked right onto the Sea of Galilee--I could not have asked for a better location. But so that you all know, I'm feeling much more 'solid' today, if ya know what I mean...

Those days in the field, though, were quite incredible. The cities of Caesarea and Beth-Shean were two of the most impressive that we've encountered on this trip. Caesarea was built by Herod the Great, and because their was no established Jewish settlement there, he had the freedom to build it completely Hellenistic--and it was beautiful. The most impressive part was the fact that he was the first man to build an artificial harbor upon the sea. His engineers developed a type of concrete/cement that was able to support a whole line of buildings to surround the harbor (which is now completely submerged, we only have historians' descriptions). It also included a few hippodromes--where chariot races were held! The city of Beth-Shean is mentioned several times in the OT, but not once in the NT, although Jesus would have most likely traveled through here many times on His way to Jerusalem. During the 1st century C.E., the city was almost fully Hellenized, and therefore, the Gospel writers may have wanted to avoid mentioning it. Regardless, it was an incredible-looking city, complete with Roman theater, bathhouses, and arenas.

On the final night, I took 2 pills of Immodium (which are still making cement in my stomach) in order to prepare myself for the next day's field study, and it worked! Waking up in the morning I felt pretty good (so I ran out and jumped in the Sea for a morning swim) and never once had to #2. With this comfort factor in mind, we headed out to a nearby dock and boarded a boat out to the middle of the lake. Notice the word "lake"--only the Jews refer to it as a Sea--its much smaller than even the individual Great Lakes of North America. Sitting there, able to see land in all directions, I just imagined Jesus walking out to us. How incredible it would have been to see your mentor and teacher walking out to you on the water!

'Could this be the Messiah that our Father Moses wrote about!?!?' His disciples were surely thinking... "Will He restore the Kingdom to Israel?" ...

"You are the Christ, Son of the living God" confirmed Peter (Mt 16:16). They knew that He was the One whom the Lord had promised their fathers so long ago. Let us follow after these disciples and bow our knees to Jesus, for he "did not count equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing... by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross" (Phil 2). This God-man really lived, really died, and really rose again, all in order to reconcile the Lord with His creation. It is in this hope we were saved (Rom 8:24).

3 comments:

  1. Anti-diarrheals can be life-savers.

    What is the definition of a sea? A lake? Does it just depend on size?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you are feeling better, Jon! Sounds like you were pretty miserable there for a while.

    I love the pictures! Love your chariot!

    In the one picture, are you sitting in front of the Sea of Galilee? That's so cool that you can see that from your dorm window!

    ReplyDelete
  3. The top pic is from our hostel on the Sea of Galilee and the bottom is on a boat on the Sea!

    ReplyDelete