The Holy City at Sunrise

The Holy City at Sunrise
Father, I pray that you will use my experiences to bless the world you love.

...and now at sunset

...and now at sunset
The view from my window...

Friday, March 19, 2010

The Best and Worst of Israel

So after much time on the phone, an appointment scheduled, and a lot of waiting, I made it to the Ministry of Affairs on Wednesday morning to get a student visa. I was shocked (although I should not have been) by the disorganization of the entire building and the mass of people trying to navigate through it. We knew our room number, so we didn't have to wait in the information line, thus we swam throughout the maze of hallways seeing long line after longer line, worrying about our own line-standing fate. However, when we finally found room 206 (which was written in pen on the wall), there was only a short line, and even though we were early, we were in and out relatively quickly. This time I was really shocked--and it was merited! With all the disorganization and chaos, somehow my fellow student and I were processed and finished incredibly quickly. But I will say that I will never complain about Agencies/Departments/any official organization in the United States again, for even the most chaotic line at the DMV will not compare with this.

Later on that same day, or shall I say that night, all the JUC Half-Marathon Runners trecked out to the Mamilla Hotel for the complimentary Pasta Dinner. Upon arriving, I knew that this would be one of the BEST experiences I was going to have in Israel. Live music, servers bringing drinks and appetizers, and quite a modern-looking lobby--we were being treated to the high life! After we entered the dining hall, our first impressions were reinforced with classy tables, too much silverware, and the smell of incredible food. We heard a few speakers tell us something in Hebrew, then the mayor gave a speech. Soon after, we hit up the buffet that was filled with some of the best pasta I have ever seen of tasted! Not to mention the fresh bread and extravagant dessert table, I grabbed a Coke with my food and began to enjoy the meal. The whole experience was incredible: each time we were impressed it seemed like something more impressive always followed, such as when we met the Mayor of Jerusalem! All in all, it was quite a classy night.

The next day, with our stomachs still filled with pasta, we departed at 7:30am to the bus stop toward the Half. With only one transfer, we made it to the stadium with plenty of time. The Marathon was pretty standard: we had electronic trackers tied in our laces, numbers on our chests, and our watches ready to go. However, there were no 'starting corals,' so we just kind of mobbed the starting line, and when the race began, we were in for a few surprises. First, there were no mile-markers, so we had to kind of guess on how far we'd run, and second, there were no porta-potties (thus, last night's pasta was bubbling in my stomach with absolutely nowhere to go...). But thankfully, I was able to assume an 8-minute-mile pace, which we achieved, and maintain stagnant bowels, and cross the finish line in 1:43:32, a new Personal Record! The race showed us the best and worst of Israel all at once, with the incredible dinner and the interesting race route (full of hills, I might add).

4 comments:

  1. Way to go, Jonathan!! It's amazing you PR'ed in spite of all the hills and what looks to be some hot and sunny weather. I'd better get myself in gear for the Indy Mini coming soon...wish you and Tricia were here to run it with us :) Take care!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job running those hills! And in less than 1 3/4 hours! Way to go!(Wear your lucky socks that came from Grandville, Michigan?) Bet you had fabulous scenery, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. DANG! impressive! wish i was there! xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! You sure are living lots of adventures with your customary exuberance! It sounds like so much fun. Thanks for sharing it all here. Kudos on the PR and the stagnant bowels:P

    ReplyDelete