The Holy City at Sunrise

The Holy City at Sunrise
Father, I pray that you will use my experiences to bless the world you love.

...and now at sunset

...and now at sunset
The view from my window...

Sunday, February 7, 2010

A journey through time--Jerusalem in the Old and New Testaments


Everyone enrolled in their first semester at JUC is required to take the class "Physical Settings of the Bible." This class, taught by University Director Paul Wright (who knows the Bible like the back of his hand and the city like the back of his eyelids), is a basic overview of the Holy Land and how its feature have impacted the stories that shaped our faith. Today we toured Jerusalem, the Holy City. When David conquered at the turn of the first millenia B.C., it had already been inhabited for 2,000 years. He did not change its name (of which we do not know the meaning) but his faith was the impetus for the growth of a city which now holds Ultimate worth. Her value was not overestimated by its inhabitants, for it was Christ himself who wept for her as he approached, prior to his crucifixion. This site is truly sacred for those of Christian faith.

However, it is not only the Christians who regard this city so highly. The Jews hold to their belief in the Holy Place of the LORD upon the Temple Mount where Solomon first built his temple and still await the coming of their Messiah into this city from the Mount of Olives. Islamic tradition believes Jerusalem to be the homeland of Abraham and Isaac, and the Temple Mount where Mohammad ascended to heaven. As if that could truly capture the situation, the point is that this is land that everyone wants for himself. In Jerusalem the conflict exists at a much more passive state--rather than violent struggles, they live in bitter, but 'peaceful' enmity. The Muslims worship on the Temple Mount in the Dome of the Rock, and the Jews pray at the bottom. The groups of Orthodox Christianity (there are 6) are content to fight amongst themselves over the rights to traditional locations to New Testament events (such as the death and burial of Christ in the Church of the Holy Sepulcher). Our God is truly alive in this city, but let us continue to "pray for the peace of Jerusalem" (Psalm 122).

I am so thankful to be able to walk where my Lord and Savior walked. This afternoon I climbed the steps of the Holy Temple (which no longer stands, circa 70CE), which have been in place since Herod the Great. Christ walked up the steps, 2,000 years ago, and cleansed the temple courts, and taught his followers from right where I stood. The whole city lay beneath me (and around me) and Christ was there, once again. Recently, the LORD has been teaching me that He is my security. I can fill my life with certain things (such as intellectual success, or friends) that provide me with security and fulfillment. If I make those good things into Ultimate things, I will always be left empty, longing for more. The truth is, I need to come directly to God for love and security--and everything else I need will be provided through Him. I am endlessly thankful for the relationships and blessings that He has given me.

Thank you, Lord.

No comments:

Post a Comment