The Holy City at Sunrise

The Holy City at Sunrise
Father, I pray that you will use my experiences to bless the world you love.

...and now at sunset

...and now at sunset
The view from my window...

Saturday, February 20, 2010

The Israeli Side of Life


The last few posts I gave have been primarily devotional so I thought I would take some time to expound upon the logistical side of my experiences here.

First: the Food. We have a single-line cafeteria here, with one entree for each meal--usually eggs for breakfast and something hot for lunch and dinner. One night we were lucky enough to get some fish from the Sea of Galilee! Generally it tastes pretty good, but every once in a while we'll get something pretty strange--I'm able to fill up on whatever it is though. We drink some sort of fruity powder mixed drink, which is fine, and then there's the salad! I have had more vegetable servings here than possibly ever before in my life! It has remained a solid constant in my diet (its served every lunch and dinner), I eat it with a scoop of hummus, and its great!

The toilets here are pretty standard--the only catch is that you can't flush any of the paper, because it will clog the toilet, you have to throw away in a little basket. Unfortunately, I regularly drop the first piece in and then I have to fish it out (nasty, I know)! But thankfully I've only clogged it once, and I might be getting the hang of it... we'll see... :)

I have 1-2 classes a day, for usually about 3-5 hours total. Thursdays and Fridays I only have one class each day, which is a nice break before the weekend: we have field studies every weekend--at least one, usually two, depending on which courses we are enrolled in. The field studies are great, and even though they wear me out, I'd rather be out exploring the region than sitting around with nothing to do. In regards to homework, it tends to be a lot of reading with high expectations for our comprehension, but I guess I'm able to keep up with it.

That's all for now! Thanks for reading, I'll be updating again soon! Feel free to ask any questions! :)

In Christ,
Jonathan

3 comments:

  1. the fruit and veggies look good and so do the fries. i bet the fish tasted good, once you got past the eyes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha... eye suspect she's right! ;-) yum

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahah. There was smoked fish like that on the coast in Lithuania, and I still remember it as one of the most delicious things I've ever tasted! And I love that you are JUST now learning not to put the paper in the toilet. When you get home, you will find yourself wanting to throw it in the nearby garbage can.

    ReplyDelete